Sunday 6 July 2014

Winter School at Mittagong NSW

I have just returned from a week teaching at Sturt - Australian Contemporary Craft & Design Centre  in Mittagong in the NSW Southern Highlands. Some of the grounds and trees are heritage listed, and it has a very special ambiance.

This is the North Wing - the building my classes were held in
Early morning as the sun was rising over one of the sculptured gardens

These beautiful colonnades and wrought iron was just outside my room.

I had a wonderful class of very talented students, who worked extremely hard all week. The object of the course is not only to demonstrate how to do a botanical painting, but the important aspect is the PROCESS. 

My class at work
The four P's are vital: Passion, Practice, Patience and Perseverance. There are no shortcuts, but often an easier way of doing things. Many of the students were absolute novices and I was thrilled by the work they produced. At the end of the week each class held an exhibition, which was a real highlight. Here is just some of the work they did.


This was the class exhibition at the culmination of the week


Sue Grieve's excellent example of a master drawing, colour study and final painting of a Kangaroo Paw
Penny Kater's work in progress of the Macadamia tree

Sandra Berrick's eucalypt leaves - in progess  
Mary Uldyne working on her painting of the Hardenbergia sp.

The finished painting of the Hardenbergia
I would have liked to have featured every single students work, as they were all quite exceptional, especially due to the beginners status of many.

This makes my life so rewarding when I can see the enjoyment and progress each individual experienced throughout the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment