Wednesday 1 October 2014

Sketching Bali

I have recently returned from a sketching tour to Bali. This island offers so many opportunities for unique and diverse sketches, and is always a popular choice.

From the temples to the markets, from the sea to the mountains, from Denpasar to Candidasa - and to lots of out of the way places. On this trip I explored further and found some exciting new sketching locations and the best cultural experiences. Somethings I think it doesn't get any better.

Valley vista Ubud




Village temple outside Sanur


There may be a lot of temples in Bali, but there are no two the same. Each has very different characteristics, some are in wealthy villages, some not so. All are beautiful and offer the most tranquil and amazing sketching experiences. I can honestly say I have never been 'templed out' in Bali.

Temple protector. Fabulous carvings, detail and colour



My favourite cultural dance is the Ke-kak fire dance. This particular venue was an open air temple. A highlight.

And I did get a little time for some sketching. This is a beach at Candidasa with fishing boats.
The carved stone doorway entrance to Le Mayeur Museum in Sanur.
 The carvings and intricate patterning are amazing. These sketches are truly meditative.



And what could be better than to finish the day on the beach as the sun sets, sipping an icy cold cocktail (or drink of your choice).

My next Bali Travel Sketching Tour is 12-18 October 2015 - so plenty of time to prepare for this.

See my website www.holidaysketching.com.au and let me share my love of Bali and its gentle, friendly people with you while you join me on some off the beaten track sketching locations....


No comments:

Post a Comment