Saturday 20 October 2012

Dryandra formosa

This is the scene I was greeted with early this morning. The sun bursting over a solid silhouette of the skyline. Sometimes I think it doesn't get much better than this. Early mornings are so peaceful and still.....


Finally! It has taken a while but I have finished my drawing of a Dryandra formosa in preparation for my next botanical painting. It was done between sorting paperwork that came out of the office, actually clearing out the office and keeping abreast of work committments.

Apologies for the quality of the images, but it was drawn directly on to 300gsm HP Arches watercolour paper with HB pencil. Due to the intricate nature of the work it would not have been feasible to complete a separate master drawing and transfer that.


I love the twists and turns, curves and arcs of the delicate leaves. I love the overall movement and chaotic growth of the leaves. The flowers grow at various angles from a slender branch.

I like to leave the initial drawing for a while so will look at it again in the morning to ensure I am happy with the balance and composition. Always view your work on a vertical surface and anything that is not right will jump out at you.

Not sure when I can begin the first washes, and from there I will probably work on it every day until finished, which should (all going well) be about 5-7 days. Life does tend to get in the way.

On Monday the removalist is taking away all the furniture in my office/studio and on Tuesday the builder is coming in to do the installation. More photos to post. I will naturally have to spend some time putting everything back in to the office but do not see that as a problem. I can put my hands on anything (except for 2 free movie tickets and a DJ gift voucher). I am sure I must have put them in a "safe" place that I would remember!

The genus Dryandra is a member of the Protea family of plants and is found only in Western Australia. Many authorities now include the Dryandra within an expanded Banksia genus  as they are closely related, although there is some opposition to this occurring.

Happy drawing and painting! And join me on the journey through the various stages of painting the Dryandra formosa.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Leonie
    This is so good of you to share the process as well as the journey. Its interesting that you have completed the drawing direct on to the 'good paper'. I usually use the transfer method from one to the other, but yes I can see that due to the intricate parts of this drawing, it would not be feasible to do it that way. I love the actual arrangement you have chosen in the composition, and look forward to watching it come alive!
    Best regards
    Jacqui :)

    ReplyDelete