Sunday 23 March 2014

Art Tours & Workshops

I am just having a little break from packing - as will leave home 7am tomorrow morning for the airport, and my flight to Norfolk Island for a week where I am taking a group of students for a very self indulgent week of sketching and painting.
 
It has been an incredibly busy week - I had to finish my third painting in a series of Australian native plants - this time of the Cooktown Orchid, which is the Queensland floral emblem. Only three more paintings to go but am on track for my deadline.
 

 
 
I taught a workshop on Saturday at WEA Sydney, which is always a joy to do - such lovely students and a great teaching venue. I have been teaching there for over 12 years and was doing regular weekly 3 hour classes, up to three times a week. Recently I have given the weekly classes up but still love my regular workshops on all sorts of topics. It helps students keep motivated and inspired, and of course to enjoy the company of like-minded people.
 
 
One week after returning from Norfolk Island I am headed up to Mackay Qld, to teach a workshop at the Botanical Gardens on all aspects of leaves. John Ruskin said "If you can paint a leaf you can paint the world." This is so true.
 
I know students want to get into something 'gutsy' but should think about the basics. If you cant observe and draw, if you dont understand colour and colour mixing and matching, and if you cant apply an even wash, or gradated washes - it is time for Back to Basics. My leaf workshops covers all this and much much more.
 
So I am looking forward to a wonderful workshop with the lovely ladies of Mackay.


No comments:

Post a Comment